Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Play ball

We're spending a lot of time hugging today, Helena and I. Rainy days are good for that.

I should be working. I promised one publisher 15 hours of work per week. So far this week I've done only one hour of editing for them. Maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew.

It's much easier to procrastinate with a baby in the house. I've always been rather gifted at procrastination. But now... There are legitimate distractions, like feedings, diaper changes, rescue missions. And why even pretend to try to work when I can play ball with baby?

I will have to search out advice on this issue — working from home with a baby.

It's a really big play week for Helena. The ball is an ongoing favourite. I did manage to capture the first "game" of ball on video on October 6. She took to it instantly. Perhaps I should've thought to try giving her a ball sooner. She drop-throws the ball and follows it. And laughs, and laughs. I throw the ball at or past her and she crawl-hobbles after it. And laughs.

I finally organized the kitchen cupboards. Helena now has her own cupboard, which stores a tub of tupperware lids, an old spatula, a funnel, various plastic containers, and a paper towel tube. It's a hit. Though, she still shows a preference for the door with the cat food behind it, but I will only go so far in compromising functionality (for me) for fun (for her).

To the best of my knowledge, she has not yet sampled, or at least demonstrated a liking for, the cats' food pellets. However, the cats are somewhat disturbed by the seemingly endless enjoyment she derives from moving food pellets from their dishes into their water bowls, along with her socks and an assortment of blocks and things.

Today, Helena had a breakthrough with her nesting cups. Not only can she fit some inside or on top of others, she seems puzzled that not all combinations of cups are equal.

I know her play is her work. We should all be so lucky.

No comments: