Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Pop politics

Listening to CBC Radio One yesterday morning I heard: "Former National Post t-v and movie critic Scott Feschuk has his own debut today. He's been hired as Paul Martin's chief speech writer, and no doubt has a hand in today's Speech from the Throne."

I did not listen to the Speech from the Throne, nor, lazy bum that I am, have I read about its highlights or reactions to it. I don't know if it was any good. I'll make a better effort to tune into Paul Martin's address today.

I can't stop wondering: What qualifies a pop-culture guru to write speeches for the prime minister? This must be part of Martin's plan to infiltrate today's hip, disaffected youth. Can they make Liberal cool again?

Feschuk was a year or two ahead of me in the county education board's enrichment program. If I remember correctly, he was considered a geek even among us geeks. His success is further evidence of how geekdom has become cool in our culture. Next on the agenda: to rule the world.

No comments: