Saturday, December 18, 2004

Shaping the postapocalypse

Margaret Atwood considers some plots for novels and some of the difficulties certain elements present.

Who shall we follow in the course of this doleful story? I vote for Chris and Amanda. They are a nice young couple who’ve had great sex in Chapter One, or possibly Chapter Two. Then realisation has dawned on them, ruining their plans to renovate their kitchen and install a new round eco-friendly refrigerator that pops up out of the kitchen counter. They flee to their summer cottage, as civic order breaks down in the once-thriving town where they live and people start eating their cats and goldfish and the dried ornamental sunflowers in their dining-room floral arrangements.


And if you still don't like Margaret Atwood, then you have no sense of humour. Or you're not very smart. Probably both.

(Via the Literary Saloon.)

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Still don't like her.

. said...

Hello, Michele sent me. I just don't get it. I know I have a sense of humor. Maybe I'm just not very smart.

Aldon Hynes said...

I'm stopping by as a result of Michele as well. Reading this last post, I can see why you liked my 'What Random Number are you' quiz.

Isabella K said...

I guess that was a bit of harsh of me. You're still smart and funny, all of you. You don't have to like Atwood if you don't want to. Even though you should.