Monday, October 25, 2010

Tokyo, in summer

Engulfed in the hot stench of the city, he found that the boundary between his inner and outer selves seemed to dissolve. The fetid air seeped in through his pores and soiled what was inside, while his simmering emotions leaked out of his body into the streets. In Tokyo, in summer, he felt threatened by the city, so it had always seemed better to avoid the whole season as much as possible, avoid the waves of withering heat that swept through the streets.

— from Out, by Natsuo Kirino.

About a hundred pages left to go. It's gritty and funny, peopled by a fascinating crew of (mostly) strong women who shoulder vast burdens.

No matter how it ends, I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

kimbofo said...

Oh, it's fab, isn't it? I remember enjoying (if that is the right word?) this book when I read it a few years back.

Danielle said...

I read this also a few years back and was so engrossed by it that when I went shopping with my family I pulled out my book to read rather than look through racks of clothes! It's definitely disturbing, but you can't stop reading!